Each day people around the world are working hard to plan for a better future for our planet and it’s on April 22 that we gather for events, celebrations, fundraisers, and more as our way of showing our commitment to cleaner environment.
Today, more than half the world’s population lives in cities and as populations grow, the effects on these cities and their climates begin to worsen, forcing us to evolve. For over 25 years, Adopt A Highway Maintenance Corporation has been working hard to improve and support the beautification efforts being made throughout many of these cities by keeping our roadways clean.
While there is only one day dedicated to the celebration of Earth Day, here at AHMC we contribute to the cause year-round by removing MILLIONS of pounds of trash that are recycled, reduced, and reused to improve the cleanliness of our cities.
Between 2010 and 2013 AHMC crews removed over 500,000 bags of trash from roadways across America.
That’s the equivalent of 4.5 MILLION pounds of trash!
his year, more states than ever are doing annual trash cleanups where support groups and volunteers are taking action and picking up trash throughout their communities to bring awareness to litter and its effects on the environment.
Below are some of the states that implement these programs:
• TEXAS runs multiple campaigns including “Don’t Mess With Texas” and their annual “Trash OFF” day where Adopt A Highway Volunteers take action and gather together to pick up litter.
• In UTAH, their “Litter Hurts” campaign is focused on keeping drivers safe by encouraging people to secure their loads to their cars to reduce trash and debris that cause accidents on the road.
• This year NORTH CAROLINA launched a new campaign called “Litter Free N.C.” to raise awareness in the Tar Heel state and crack down on regular offenders.
• LOUISIANA communities have partnered with Keep Louisiana Beautiful and Volunteer Louisiana to host a new statewide event this year called the “Litter-Thon”.
• MISSISSIPPI has their annual “Trash Bash” where volunteers remove trash in Mississippi’s six districts. Last year the theme was “Think Green, Keep Mississippi Clean.”
• “The Great American Cleanup of PA” is help by Keep PENNSYLVANIA Beautiful and takes place each year from March 1st to May 31st.
Those listed above are just a few of the programs in place to bring awareness to litter and its effects on the environment.
Click on any of the links above to find out more information about each of these amazing programs and to find out how you can partner with Adopt A Highway Maintenance Corporation to sponsor roadside cleanup, CALL US… and just in time for Earth Day!